Thursday 8 November 2012

Chosen Costume & Props

Costume

My short film was heavily inspired by the dystopian novel 1984 by George Orwell. The novel was adapted for film and therefore I felt that to carry this feeling of pastiche and intertextuality; the costume should mirror to some extent the costume worn by John Hurt's character Winston Smith. Within the film Winston Smith only wears a white a T-shirt and a blue overall. This simplistic costume I believe was chosen as its presents the idea that the people in society have no choice and they are without character and life and they all wear the same monotonous clothing, they have no identity. 

Therefore, for this reason of continuing the elements of pastiche and intertextuality I have chosen to slightly adapts the costume from 1984, to incorporate elements that I feel reflect the similar tone of individuals without an identity. Therefore I have chosen to retain the white T-shirt as I feel it can notes a sense of loss of character. However I do not want to use the blue overalls I still wanted to retain the sense of people with out life and character, therefore I chose a very bland greys, blacks for the rest of the costume. For the trousers I chose black sweatpants as I felt they gave a sense of the mundane, people not dressing for work but almost as if they casually standing around. Also I feel that they have no character they have, no substance they just an item of clothing.

However for the jacket that the protagonists will be wearing I chose a black waterproof jacket as again I feel due to this simple neutral colour it lacks any character. For the shoes again I chose a simple great grey pair of plimsolls that weren't smart but they also were not casual there in the middle not quite being either or. 


                                 Black Sweatpants                                            Black Jacket

                                    White t-shirt                                                Grey Plimsolls

I feel that the costume effectively represents the lifeless character that I am trying to portray within society, having references and acknowledgements to 1984 and a state what I have taken of my inspiration from. I also believe this costume is very easy to film with as it won't change and there can be a consistency and continuity across different shots as the clothing will remain the same.

Props


Green Bag

For the short film I've decided that they'll be only one main prop that will be used this is a green bag that is used by the protagonist. The bag is seen during the exiting from the building, the bus scene and the walking down the road. I chosen the bag to be green as it is contrast on the rest of the costume and therefore is a noticeable difference in the protagonists appearance. However, the bag is never explained, the audience never know what is in the bag or why he is carrying it, it leaves the audience asking the question and build the anticipation for the audience. However when the bag is in shot it draws the audiences attention however as soon as it's not seen it is forgotten as it is not a dramatic contrast and it can very easily be forgotten. Also the bag will never be full, it will be slightly empty and this further develop the intrigues and questioning behind what is inside the bag. The bag is actually the red herring for the audience making them asked questions and consider what is inside it actually never focusing on the true issue. This is a key theme an idea that I explore throughout my film.

After I've got my props and costumes sorted I now need to consider locations and start taking photos of where I wants my short film to be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment