Monday 8 October 2012

Initial Area of Focus

After evaluating my audience research and investigating into the codes & conventions of short films I have decided that the two initial focuses that I want to explore and possibly experiment with within my short film are the idea of narrative and the colour quality of the film.

I want to experiment with the narrative, maybe creating a postmodern or subversive narrative that forces the audience to question and consider what just happened after they've watched the film. This idea of experimenting with narrative has come from my analysing of the short films "Back to Solitude", "Plot Device" and "Loop". I think these three along with feature films such as "Pulp Fiction" will really inspire and be used as a reference point for my own short film.

I have recently watched Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" which is been remastered and found a fascination  for the method in which the colour was presented. I feel that the modern way of filming has become so realistic that it actually has become fake and superficial. Whereas the traditional and old-fashioned way of filming where the colours were more vibrances and the contrast was higher has a lower level of verisimilitude yet creates a real sense of life. However I think it goes deeper than that I think that audiences go to the cinema and what short films for escapism and the more accurate and the higher level of verisimilitude the film has, it actually has the reverse effect and it becomes shallow and unrealistic.

These are just a few areas that I would like to experiment with within my short film I need to focus and decide upon key areas that I would like to use such as the genre, plots, narration and characters for a go any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment